Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Obama Endorses Marriage Equality

History has been made...

In an interview with ABC's Robin Roberts President Barack Obama has for the first time publicly endorsed same sex marriage.

Here are his exact words...

"I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don't Ask Don't Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married,"

This all comes after a week where the subject has been front and center in politics.
  • Then on Sundays Meet The Press with David Gregory Vice President Joe Biden made it abundantly clear that he supported gay marriage saying... "I am absolutely comfortable with the fact that men marrying men, women marrying women, and heterosexual men and women marrying another are entitled to the same exact rights, all the civil rights, all the civil liberties. And quite frankly, I don't see much of a distinction -- beyond that."

North Carolina passes amendment one
It was time the President did this. This is an historic moment in this country's civil rights and it was a long time coming. There is no doubt that the Republicans, the religious, the conservatives, the intolerant and the bigoted factions of this country will salivate over how they can hurt the president with this but I believe it was time to take a stand against hate and think President Obama will be rewarded come November.

No comments:

Post a Comment