Friday, September 11, 2015

In Memory: The 14th Anniversary Of 9/11

Every year this painful anniversary rolls around and as per usual I post a picture of the Twin Towers memorial lights shining up from the wound that was the site where the beautiful twin towers used to stand in tribute to the people who lost their lives in them. Having grown up an lived in Manhattan my whole life I thought this year I would, in addition, post a few images of how I remember those two monolithic steel and glass wonders looked to me and my fellow New Yorkers.

Here is a 1960's article boasting of what were to be the two tallest buildings in the world.


Here is a picture of a scale model by architect Minoru Yamasaki of the now iconic towers were to look from the 1964 worlds's fair.


Here is a promotional ad taken out in the New York Time circa 1971


Here are a couple of shots of the two towers being built by the structural engineering firm of Worthington, Skilling, Helle & Jackson.




At the time of their completion, the "Twin Towers" — the original 1 World Trade Center, at 1,368 feet and 2 World Trade Center, at 1,362 feet were the tallest buildings in the world.

Here they are in their full glory!








Hell, Even King Kong and Godzilla visited!



They were magnificent...


No comments:

Post a Comment