Friday, September 25, 2015

John Boehner Announces His Resignation

Today U.S. House Speaker John Boehner announced that he will resign from Congress in October. 

The Ohio Republican, elected to Congress in 1990, has been speaker since January 2011.

A fellow Republican reported that in a closed-door meeting Boehner told fellow lawmakers that he... 

just does not want to become the issue. Some people have tried to make him the issue both in Congress and outside.

Boehner announcing his resignation
Later in the day Boehner told reporters that he felt the fight over his leadership waged by Tea Party Republicans would be damaging. He felt an obligation to protect the institution of Congress saying...

It’s become clear to me that this prolonged leadership turmoil would do irreparable harm to the institution. I don’t want my members to have to go through this. I certainly don’t want the institution to go through this.

Boehner then said he was ready to leave politics…

Frankly, I am entirely comfortable doing it…Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah

My oh my what a wonderful day...?

No comments:

Post a Comment