Friday, March 31, 2017

BUSTED! Reports Reveal That It Was Actually The White House That Gave Intel Committee Chair Nunes Access To "Secret" Reports

Remember last week when House Intelligence Committee Chair Devin Nunes had mysteriously gained access to intelligence reports that he claimed showed that Donald Trump and his associates were surveilled by certain government agencies.

Remember how Nunes did not one but two breathless news conferences claiming that the reports he had gained access to through what was referred to as a “whistleblower-type person" proved that Trump's "wiretapping" tweets were now somehow justified.

Then after Nunes told reporters that Donald Trump and his team had been surveilled in some capacity he marched right into the White House like a good boy and told Trump about the wonderful exculpatory info he had stumbled across thanks to his unnamed sources.

Nunes then, just for good measure, vowed to “never” reveal where he got his information, not even to other members of the House Intelligence Committee. So there!

Yeah, about that.

After a week of both the Trump administration and Nunes' denial that anyone from the White House provided the chairman with the surveillance info it turns out that the aforementioned “whistleblower-type person" was in actuality three guys who work in the White House for Donald Trump.

Go figure.

The New York Times reported today that least two White House officials were involved in giving Nunes access to intelligence reports and later in the day the Washington Post reported that there was a third White House official involved in the exchanges.

The New York Times, citing several current American officials, named Ezra Cohen-Watnick, the senior director for intelligence at the National Security Council, and Michael Ellis, a lawyer who previously worked with Nunes on the House Intelligence Committee but joined the Trump administration as an attorney.

The Washington Post reported the two the NYT's had named and in addition a third man identified as John Eisenberg, the top lawyer for the National Security Council and the man whom Michael Ellis reports to.

The paper's conclusions would make sense since only a select number of people would have been able to log on to the computer at the White House secure room and even fewer would have access to reports drawing on NSA intercepts that included "incidental collection" of Americans.

Unsurprisingly White House Press Secretary Sean "alternative facts" Spicer dismissed questions about the New York Times report, saying the press is assuming the reports are correct. When asked if Donald Trump had been the one who instructed the White House staffers to find proof of his wiretapping Spicer claimed he was...

"not aware of anything directly

After the sources were named, as if magically on cue, the White House sent a letter to ranking members on the House and Senate intelligence committees that they would be able to view the materials that were previously denied to the members of Congress saying the documents were now deemed...

"necessary to determine whether information collected on U.S. persons was mishandled and leaked."

The White House would not confirm that the information that would be shared with the House and Senate intelligence committees was what Nunes was ranting about last week.

And so it continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment