Friday, November 24, 2017

A Second Federal Court Shuts Down Trump's Bigoted Transgender Military Ban


Just in time for Thanksgiving a federal court ordered a halt to Donald Trump's order to bar openly transgender people from serving in the military.

On Tuesday the American Civil Liberties Union, which is a part of the lawsuit against the ban, announced the the preliminary injunction issued in Baltimore by U.S. District Judge Marvin Garbis.

Garbis wrote that Trump's order was...

"capricious, arbitrary, and unqualified tweet of new policy does not trump the methodical and systematic review by military stakeholders qualified to understand the ramifications of policy change."

Oh Daym!

Judge Garbis' ruling stops any ban on transgender individuals from either serving in or being recruited by the military.

In addition it allows any transition-related surgeries to take place if those are a part of the individual's medical plan.

This is the second block on Trump's anti-transgender order after U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly in Washington also barred Trump's order last month citing that the administration had provided no solid evidence for why a ban should be implemented.

Pentagon spokesman Mark Wright said the Tuesday ruling will have no impact on current Defense Department policy...

"As directed by the DoD guidance, no action may be taken to involuntarily separate or discharge an otherwise qualified service member solely on the basis of a gender dysphoria diagnosis or transgender status,"

Another spokesman for the Pentagon, US Army Major Dave Eastburn, said in a statement on Wednesday...

First and foremost, the health and welfare of our service members is of the utmost importance, and one of our top priorities. That said, current interim guidance laid forth by the Secretary of Defense clearly states that persons diagnosed with gender dysphoria, by a military medical professional, will continue to serve,"

Despite the fact that the Pentagon signaled that it was fine with Garbis' ruling the White House released a statement stating that the Department of Justice would vigorously defend Trump's directive baring transgender people from the military citing "national security."

Meanwhile, the current policy is under review and it is expected that a recommendation will be made on the policy from the Secretary to the White House sometime early next year.

The longstanding policy that barred transgender people from joining the military was changed last year under President Barack Obama.

No comments:

Post a Comment